Every marriage in Ontario requires a valid Ontario Marriage Licence be obtained prior to the ceremony taking place, licences are only valid for 90 days. The cost for a marriage licence is $140.00. Payment can be made by cash or debit.
To get a Marriage Licence You will need:
A Marriage Licence Application must be completed and submitted in advance by email to email@example.com or can be submitted through mail or dropping it off in-person at the office or by using the drop box outside of office hours. Once your application has been reviewed, a staff member will reach out to schedule an appointment to purchase your licence.
- Please note that you will need to bring the original printed application, signed by both parties, to your pre-booked appointment.
- The licence is valid for 3 months from the date it is issued.
- At least one of the persons applying for the licence must attend the appointment in person and bring the originals of both applicants identification.
You will need two pieces of government-issued identification for each person getting married. One piece of identification must include your photo.
Examples of government-issued identification:
- Government-issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificates
- Valid Passport
- Record of Immigrant Landing
- Canadian Citizenship Card
- Valid Driver's Licence
- Valid Ontario Photo Card
- If one or both of the applicants applying for a Marriage Licence has been divorced and the divorce was granted within Canada, the original or a certified true copy of the Decree of Absolute or Certificate of Divorce is required.
- Divorces granted outside of Canada require Registrar General authorization. Please visit the Service Ontario Website for more information.
- Applicants who are widowed do not require proof of death of their spouse.
Booking an Appointment
- AN APPOINTMENT IS REQUIRED
- Appointments will be scheduled within 3-5 business days of completing the application.
- With an appointment, if you have the required identification and supporting documentation, it will take approximately 20-30 minutes to process your application and issue the licence.
- You may book an appointment by contacting Jana Nethercott
Upon completion of a wedding ceremony, you can apply for your marriage certificate from the Registrar General.
Civil Marriage Ceremony
The Municipality of Thames Centre does not conduct civil marriage ceremonies at this time.