WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- A marriage licence is required to get married in Ontario.
- The licence is valid for use in Ontario only.
- The licence expires 3 months after the date of issuance.
- The cost for a marriage licence is $140.00. Payment can be made by cash or debit.
- Please complete a marriage application and submit to Sara Henshaw
- Your application can be submitted through mail, email, dropping it off in-person at the office or using our drop box outside of office hours
- Once your application has been reviewed, a staff member will reach out to you to schedule an appointment to pick up your licence
A Marriage Licence Application must be completed, including typing the names of both parties in the signature section. We ask that the completed application be submitted by the applicant and/or joint applicant by e-mail to email@example.com in advance of your appointment. Please note that you will need to bring the original printed application, signed by both parties, to your appointment.
You will need two pieces of government-issued identification for each person getting married. One piece of identification must include your photo.
Examples of government-issued identification:
- Government-issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificates
- Valid Passport
- Record of Immigrant Landing
- Canadian Citizenship Card
- Valid Driver's Licence
- Valid Ontario Photo Card
- If one or both of the applicants applying for a Marriage Licence has been divorced and the divorce was granted within Canada, the original or a certified true copy of the Decree of Absolute or Certificate of Divorce is required.
- Divorces granted outside of Canada require Registrar General authorization. Please visit the Service Ontario Website for more information.
- Applicants who are widowed do not require proof of death of their spouse.
Booking an Appointment
- AN APPOINTMENT IS REQUIRED
- Appointments will be scheduled within 3-5 business days of completing the application.
- With an appointment, if you have the required identification and supporting documentation, it will take approximately 20-30 minutes to process your application and issue the licence.
- You may book an appointment by contacting Sara Henshaw
Upon completion of a wedding ceremony, you can apply for your marriage certificate from the Registrar General.
Civil Marriage Ceremony
The Municipality of Thames Centre does not conduct civil marriage ceremonies at this time.